College Visits and Fairs
2017 Regional College Fair
This year’s fair will be held at FRCS in our Gymnasium on April 13th from 6 p.m.-8 p.m. Approximately 100 colleges are expected to attend. Come find out for yourself what college has to offer.
College Fairs and Visits at FRCS
Each year, FRCS 11th grade students take a trip to the Boston National College Fair to help explore colleges and find out programs about which they are interested. Hundreds of colleges from across the country and overseas are represented.
Additionally each fall, representatives from dozens of nearby colleges visit our school to meet students, present their schools, and answer questions.
National College Fair information can be found at the National Association of College Admissions Counselors at https://www.nacacfairs.org/.
Regional Collge Fair information can be found at the New England Association of College Admissions Counselors at http://www.neacac.org/.
College Fair Preparation and Tips can be found here
Why go on to a College Fair or on a College Visit?
- Each campus has a different feel from the pamphlets they give out
- Some things are overly or under emphasized by the college in their pamphlets
- Real students give tours, so they are usually very honest about the school’s flaws
- They often include very helpful question and answer sessions
- It’s always good to have a first-hand look
- It counts as an excused absence from school
Important questions to ask on tours and at college fairs:
- What size school am I comfortable at?
- How close is this school to home? Am I comfortable this far away?
- Does this school have an academic major or program I am interested in?
- What types of degrees does this school offer (associates, bachelors, masters, and doctorate)? Is this the type of degree I will need to be successful?
- What is the student to faculty ratio?
- How difficult is the course work? Will I be overwhelmed or bored?
- How much financial aid does the school provide? Will I be able to afford this education?
- What types of people go to this school? Are they generally friendly, or keep to themselves? Are these the types of people I will feel comfortable around?
- How large are the dorms, and are they comfortable?
- How’s the food?
- What type of career services office does this school offer? Will they help me find internships or a job once I graduate?
- What types of clubs and organizations does this school offer?
- Do I have the qualities and qualifications needed to get into this school?